This is the first in an occasional series of posts about interesting Excel-DNA based add-ins.
Alex Chirokov’s ACQ add-in provides a library of interpolation routines for Excel. The add-in includes 1D and 2D interpolators, scatter plot smoothing and a Mersenne Twister random number generator.
To have a closer look:
- Find the current release on Github: https://github.com/ratesquant/ACQ/releases
- With the main repository on GitHub at https://github.com/ratesquant/ACQ
- A very clear introduction to the library, including some of it’s advanced features, is posted on Code Project: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1097174/Interpolation-in-Excel-using-Excel-DNA
Features I like about the add-in (apart from it using Excel-DNA) include:
- A liberal open-source license
- A clear and authoritative implementation of a particular domain
- Very nice example of using object handles – an interpolator is build from the data, and then used to interpolate many values. ACQ has a clean implementation and great example of this technique.
- All the functions have a common prefix (“=acq…”), making them easy to find in the function list, and use with the Excel-DNA IntelliSense extension.
Thank you for publishing a great add-in, Alex.
PS: ACQ has a bonus feature that implements a Sudoku solver (and generator)! See the write-up here: Sudoku Solver in Excel using C# and Excel-DNA